Museum Dhondt-Dhaenens

After acquiring a spacious plot on Pontstraat in Sint-Martens-Latem, the industrialist Jules Dhondt (1889-1969) and Irma Dhaenens (1892–1973) proceed with the construction of the Museum Dhondt-Dhaenens. The museum is part of the Mrs Jules Dhondt-Dhaenens Foundation, which safeguards the original vision of the couple by making both their art collection and culture in a broad sense accessible to a diverse audience. On 30 November 1968 the museum was opened in a modernist building designed by architect Erik Van Biervliet. Besides the Museum Dhondt-Dhaenens, the Mrs Jules Dhondt-Dhaenens Foundation includes 2 nearby sites: Wunderkammer and Woning Van Wassenhove.

The collection of artworks can be placed on a timeline between 1880 and 1950. Not all movements are represented, but there is no lack of big names: Brusselmans, Claus, De Saedeleer, De Smet, Ensor, Evenepoel, Laermans, Malfait, Minne, Meunier, Permeke, Saverys, Servaes, Smits, Spilliaert, Tytgat, Van den Berghe, Van de Woestyne and Wouters ...

Outside this permanent collection, the private museum mainly acquires its name through temporary exhibitions of contemporary art. In recent years, Museum Dhondt-Dhaenens has built a strong tradition of cooperation with artists who fundamentally question the museum as an institution, the position of the artist or the relationship with the visitor.

To visit the museum, click here.